The 802.11ac, wireless networking standard is better than every version of Wi-Fi before it. Now, we are on 802.11ac Wave 2 which delivering faster speed over greater distances. This means you can get a signal while you can go farther than before. Some models also support the MU-MIMO technology to handles simultaneous high-bandwidth online activities. You’ve probably seen routers that have 4×4 MIMO, it means that they can transmit and receive four streams simultaneously.
What is the MU-MIMO? – How important is it?
MU-MIMO stands for multiuser multiple input, multiple output. So, the routers that support MU-MIMO can send data to multiple devices at the same time. Sound like your current router does this right?, but it doesn’t. It very swiftly responds which device it’s communicating with, so you can’t notice when you just sending email, watching YouTube or other ordinary tasks. But you will start to notice the benefits of MU-MIMO when you have several people trying to watch YouTube, stream Netflix on their tablets, plus someone else trying to play GTA or Killzone online.
Now, it’s early days for the MU MIMO technology, and it requires the devices that have a compatible MU-MIMO Wi-Fi chips. However, while you may not have or want to change your old router, buying a MU-MIMO router should last for several years. So, you’ll be able to get speed gains as soon as you have MU-MIMO compatible phones, laptops or tablets.
The list below is best-selling MU-MIMO router at Amazon.com. It is probably a good idea to start with the model that many of people trust and buy if you do not have any in your mind. There are a lot of good features other than the MU-MIMO, but at last, depending on your needs and budget.
- Tri-Stream 160 technology doubles bandwidth and the fastest dual-band of any router*
- MU-MIMO technology provides blazing-fast Wi-Fi speeds to multiple devices all at the same time, same speed
- Open-source ready with OpenWrt and DD-WRT® for complete flexibility and customization
- Updated Smart Wi-Fi app to manage and monitor your home Wi-Fi from your device, anytime, anywhere
- 256MB Flash and 512MB of RAM Memory delivers improved data transfer speeds allowing you to do more at faster rates
- Next-Gen AC Wi-Fi - Multi-User MIMO technology
- Combined dual-band speeds up to 1.7 Gbps for powerful Wi-Fi performance
- Beamforming technology focuses Wi-Fi signal to each device on your network
- Featuring a new look, Smart Wi-Fi app provides parental controls, guest passwords and much more to fully manage your home Wi-Fi from a mobile device anytime, anywhere
- Dual-band AC1300 with the latest 2x2 MU-MIMO technology for combined speeds of up to 1267 Mbps
- Four external 5dBi antennas for improved Wi-Fi range and multi-device performance
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS Router App
- Effortless router setup with the ASUSWRT web-based interface
- Integrated USB 3.0 port allows you to share external drives/flash drives with your network
- Compatible with Amazon Echo/Alexa - Control your home network using voice commands.
- AC2600 WiFi-800+1733 Mbps speeds; Ranked #1 in AC2600 performance by Small Net Builder
- Four-stream (4x4) WiFi Architecture for smoother 4K video streaming and lag-free gaming and 160MHz radio for double the bandwidth for mobile devices
- Multi-user MIMO technology for more throughput; Top spot in MU-MIMO router performance comparison by Small Net Builder
- Powerful 1.7GHz dual core processor and dynamic QoS for smooth jitter-free gaming
- AC2350 WiFi-600+1733 Mbps speeds
- Four-stream (4x4) WiFi architecture for lag-free gaming and smoother 4K video streaming
- Multi-User MIMO technology for more throughput with simultaneously streamed data for multiple device
- Powerful 1.4GHz dual Core Processor and dynamic QoS for smooth jitter-free gaming
- Network storage-ready with super-fast twin USB 3.0 and eSATA
Last update on 2017-04-25