Google Wi-Fi is a new type of connected system that replaces your router for seamless coverage throughout your home. This is a Google Designed and Google made. When I thinking about G, the big question is “privacy”. Google claim that the Google Wifi system and the mobile app that accompanies it “do not track the websites you visit or collect the content of any traffic on your network.”
Like the Luma Whole Home WiFi System, the Google Wifi router is sold in a pack of three units that link together to create what’s called a “mesh system,” blanketing your home in WiFi. And, yes, if you’d prefer not to buy the Google Wifi system with pack of three, you can purchase the router individually. However, the three pack which is a better value overall.
Well, why would you want three routers? Google Wifi system is in essence a series of mini wireless routers that all talk to each other and can be scattered across the home to ensure a strong and fast wireless signal in every room. This mesh system is a great solution, especially if you have a fairly large house with dozens of devices connected to the router. You can buy another one later and expanded out to fill up your house.
Google designed Wifi to be able to support many wireless devices at once, and to withstand high-bandwidth activities such as streaming 4K video and gaming. The Google Wifi also works in concert with the OnHub router that Google released in 2015, linking as a satellite via Google WiFi’s mobile app. Google recommends using one point in a small house or flat measuring between 500- and 1500 square feet, two in a medium house measuring between 1500- and 3000 square feet, and three in a large home between 3000- and 4500 square feet.
Google Wifi comes with app for Android and iOS that mainly use for setting up the system. After you finish the setup, this app will be use to pause the Wi-Fi connection to specific devices. You can also see how much bandwidth these devices are using and prioritize particular devices over others. Google Wifi supports the wireless encryption and automatically update themselves.
Like the eero Home WiFi System, Google Wifi system has a mobile app (available for Android and iOS) that makes the setup fairly easy to locate the three routers. After plugging in each router, just switched between the setup procedure on the app to the network settings on your phone to fill a network ID and password. Returned to the app, select each router and connect it to the network, now your mesh network is ready. You can finish the whole setup process less than 20 minutes.
So, generally speaking Google Wifi system is a fantastic mesh system and we highly recommend. It comes with companion app for Android and iOS which provide easy setup process also highly scalable and customizable for any situation.
- A new type of connected system for seamless Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home, helping eliminate dead zones and buffering
- Replaces your current router, and works your modem and internet service. It’s compatible with major internet service providers including Comcast, Time Warner, and Verizon Fios
- A single Wifi point covers up to 1,500 sq. ft, a set of three covers homes up to 4,500 sq. ft. Wifi points work together so you can add more if you need additional coverage
- Network Assist technology keeps your connection fast by always selecting the clearest channel and fastest band for your devices
- A simple app gets you set up quickly and allows you to see what’s connected, prioritize devices, and pause the Wi-Fi on kids’ devices