Nikon brands the COOLPIX S9900 as “the ultimate in pocket-size versatility”, and they might not actually be far off in this case.
Nikon COOLPIX S9900 features a swiveling LCD, built-in Wi-Fi with NFC support for starters, and even incorporates built-in onboard GPS with POI technology so you can automatically log the longitude and latitude of every shot you take. There’s also a 5-axis Hybrid VR system that uses a combination lens shift and electronic VR for more stable images especially on the long range of the zoom.
That’s certainly important as the camera body is extremely small given it goes all the way out to a 750mm equivalent zoom while not offering you that much to hold on to. That said, I also like that the camera remains relatively slim and light, and the flip-out rear LCD display is certainly the most versatile of all the other cameras, allowing you to shoot from virtually any angle.
Nikon says it uses a RGBW alignment for the LCD screen with an added anti-reflection coating to ensure clear visibility of the images, and in testing, it certainly seemed to work. The LCD was always clearly visible without needing much brightness or contrast adjustments.
Honestly, I have a bit of both love and hate with the COOLPIX S9900’s menu system. While on the one hand, it’s smart enough to remember where you are in the menu. So, you don’t have to start from the top each time you need to adjust the same setting. Somehow it always resets the drive mode to single shot after you put it on timer mode. That means you’ll be diving through the same menus over and over again if you’re taking a series of shots that require the use of a timer, it gets frustrating to say the least.
- Compact enough to be grabbed with one hand
- Swiveling vari-angle display allows for greater usability
- Self-timer doesn’t remember setting
- Poor picture quality in low light condition
- 30x optical zoom telephoto lens with Vibration Reduction
- 60x with Dynamic Fine Zoom, an enhanced digital zoom function that effectively doubles your reach
- Swiveling vari-angle display
- 3.0-inch 921,000-dot Vari-Angle LCD
- Wi-Fi and NFC enabled for instant sharing