Adding a Network-Attached Storage box (NAS) to your home or small-office setup brings a whole lot more than just always-on shared storage or a place to save backups. Of course, those are both great things to have, and encompass much of what people use NASs for on a day-to-day basis.
But with NAS makers have, over the last half a decade or so, increasingly taken cues from the smartphone scene and made their devices much more flexible and modular, letting you add extra functions by downloading apps. And the latter are made by both the NAS-manufacturers and community developers, meaning there’s an increasingly wide variety to choose from.
In fact, ‘Network-Attached Storage’ significantly undersells what the modern NAS can do. While Microsoft might not have managed to get the concept of the ‘home server’ off the ground, the idea is arguably alive and well in today’s NAS boxes. Have a quick browse of the range of apps from NAS- makers’ Synology, WD or Asustor and you’ll probably find the range of functions on offer slightly-overwhelming.
You can have your NAS host your own blog, run an email server, be the center of a multi-camera surveillance set-up, run a VPN, act as a media-server that will transcode files for playback on your mobile devices, and automatically download desired movies and TV shows. And NASs can even scan newly-downloaded files for viruses, with built-in anti-virus apps provided by some of the big names in the biz such as McAfee and Avast.
Even just using a NAS has become drastically easier than it was. No longer do you have to dig through arcane tree-based menu systems that look like web-sites from the late 1990s. They’re still accessed through a web browser, but now you’re typically presented with a virtual computer-desktop, complete with app icons which open up in their own ‘windows’. It’s all far more intuitive and friendly, and if you can drive a Windows or Mac computer then using a modern NAS isn’t too far removed.
“Save everything. Access anywhere.”WD 4TB My Cloud Personal NAS is one of the popular personal network attached storage from Western Digital. With weight only 2.2 pounds and size 5.5 x 1.9 x 6.7 inches in dimensions, it look like some modern decoration on your desk. You can save everything in one place and access it from anywhere with blazing-fast performance. Get abundant storage without paying monthly fees. And with direct file uploads from your mobile devices, all your important data is safely stored at home on your personal cloud.
- Back up files from all your computers
- Upload, access and save photos and videos from your mobile devices
- Stream to your DLNA/UPnP-certified connected TVs, media players and gaming consoles
- Free up space on your mobile device
- Reliable and secure with industry leading warranty and password protection
- Blazing-fast file transfers
- Expandable storage
- High-performance media streaming
- Back up files from all your computers
- Dual Core Processor, High-performance media streaming
- 1 x Gigabit Ethernet, 1 x USB 3.0 Expansion Port
- DLNA 1.5 and UPnP Certified, Free Space for Desktop and Mobile Apps, Password Protection
- Auto Network Discovery, Blazing-fast file transfers
- 4TB Storage Capacity, Back up files from all your computers
- Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0, Blazing-fast file transfers
- Package Includes: Personal cloud storage, Ethernet cable, AC adapter and Quick Install Guide, DLNA 1.5 and UPnP Certified
- Auto Network Discovery
- Windows and Mac Compatible
- A versatile personal cloud storage for everyday life
- Dual-core CPU with hardware encryption engine
- Over 112.75 MB/s reading,97.6 MB/s writing
- Brightness adjustable front LED indicators
- Easy to use web operating system on any browsers
- Dual-core CPU with AES-NI hardware encryption engine
- Encryption performance at over 113.01 MB/s reading, 111.66 MB/s writing
- Advanced Btrfs file system with built-in data integrity check
- Single H.264 4K or triple Full HD video transcoding on the fly
- Hot-swappable drive tray design for easy installation & maintenance
- Quad-core 4-bay NAS optimized for intensive tasks and encryption
- Scalable storage up to 9 drives with DX513
- Comes with 2 RAM options: 2GB and 8GB
- Single H.264 4K or triple Full HD online transcoding
- Advanced Btrfs file system offering 65000 system-wide snapshots and 1024 snapshots per shared folder
- Ideal 4-bay NAS as home multimedia center
- Dual-core CPU burst up to 2.48GHz delivers 225.68 MB/s reading, 186.67 MB/s writing
- Encryption performance at over 224.91 MB/s reading, 142.56 MB/s writing by aes-ni hardware encryption Engine
- Dual Gigabit LAN ports runs link aggregation on your home switch
- Single H.264 4K or triple full HD 1080p video transcoding on the fly
* last update: 2017-06-10