The 802.11ac, wireless networking standard is better than every version of Wi-Fi before it. Now, we are on 802.11ac Wave 2 which delivering faster speed over greater distances. This means you can get a signal while you can go farther than before. Some models also support the MU-MIMO technology to handles simultaneous high-bandwidth online activities. You’ve probably seen routers that have 4×4 MIMO, it means that they can transmit and receive four streams simultaneously.
What is the MU-MIMO? – How important is it?
MU-MIMO stands for multiuser multiple input, multiple output. So, the routers that support MU-MIMO can send data to multiple devices at the same time. Sound like your current router does this right?, but it doesn’t. It very swiftly responds which device it’s communicating with, so you can’t notice when you just sending email, watching YouTube or other ordinary tasks. But you will start to notice the benefits of MU-MIMO when you have several people trying to watch YouTube, stream Netflix on their tablets, plus someone else trying to play GTA or Killzone online.
Now, it’s early days for the MU MIMO technology, and it requires the devices that have a compatible MU-MIMO Wi-Fi chips. However, while you may not have or want to change your old router, buying a MU-MIMO router should last for several years. So, you’ll be able to get speed gains as soon as you have MU-MIMO compatible phones, laptops or tablets.
The list below is best-selling MU-MIMO router at Amazon.com. It is probably a good idea to start with the model that many of people trust and buy if you do not have any in your mind. There are a lot of good features other than the MU-MIMO, but at last, depending on your needs and budget.
- Dual-Band 80.11ac Wireless Technology
- Dual-Core 1.4 GHz processor
- PHY data rates AC1300 + N450 (Speeds of up to 1.75 Gbps)
- 4 x LAN Gigabit / 1 x WAN Gigabit ports / 2 x USB ports (3.0 & 2.0)
- MU-MIMO technology
- Compatible with Amazon Echo/Alexa - Control your home network using voice commands.
- AC2600 WiFi-800+1733 Mbps speeds; Ranked #1 in AC2600 performance by Small Net Builder
- Four-stream (4x4) WiFi Architecture for smoother 4K video streaming and lag-free gaming and 160MHz radio for double the bandwidth for mobile devices
- Multi-user MIMO technology for more throughput; Top spot in MU-MIMO router performance comparison by Small Net Builder
- Powerful 1.7GHz dual core processor and dynamic QoS for smooth jitter-free gaming
- Intelligent Tri-Band router with Net Gen. "1.8GHz Quad-Core" CPU and 3 offload processors to release your Wi-Fi performance and provide 3 Ultra-high-speed Wi-Fi bands up to 4 Gbps
- Next-Gen AC Wi-Fi + MU-MIMO + Airtime fairness improves network efficiency and provides ultra-fast Wi-Fi speeds to all your home and home office devices at the same time, same speed; "Smart Connect" intelligently selects the best radio band for your wireless device
- Advanced Beamforming with 9 high power amplifiers extend and maximize performance and coverage for both 2.4GHz & 5GHz
- 6 active high gain antennas expand Wi-Fi range throughout a large-size home; 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for wired speeds 10x faster than standard Ethernet for printers, game consoles and Smart TVs
- Auto firmware updates always keep your router updated with latest features and security measures
- Works with Amazon Alexa.IPv6 compatible: Yes
- 4x4 MU-MIMO (Multi-User MIMO) technology delivers four data streams for a seamless entertainment experience
- MU-MIMO handles heavy network traffic and high-bandwidth activities on multiple devices at the same time
- Powered by Qualcomm Internet Processor
- Data at speeds up to 2.53 Gbps, six times faster than Wireless-N
- CERTIFIED REFURBISHED - This Certified Refurbished product is manufacturer refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day warranty
- SIMULTANEOUS DUAL BAND - This router simultaneously broadcasts the standard 2.4GHz as well as the 5GHz frequency. This means that it delivers a stronger connection at a wider range than a single band at speeds up to 2.53 Gbps.
- LINKSYS MU-MIMO TECHNOLOGY - MU-MIMO is the latest in wireless-AC technology for simultaneously streaming and gaming on multiple devices. Game without interruption from other devices on the network with the new MU-MIMO technology. The router's supercharged 1.4 GHz dual-core processor and four high-speed Gigabit Ethernet ports make it an ideal choice for gamers looking for blazing-fast wired connections.
- USB 3.0 AND eSATA PORTS - Share files and add external storage across your network with the USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 offers enhanced speeds over 2.0. You can use the USB port on this router to safely back files up or store media files that can be accessed from other devices on your network.
- IMPROVED MOBILE SPEED AND RANGE - Shop online, send emails, and even set up your router from your mobile device in any room of your home without having to worry about signal drop-off. Beamforming technology delivers whole-home coverage that targets Wi-Fi signals to provide increased signal strength and coverage for each mobile device.
* last update: 2017-06-10